8.13.2011

Full tilt

After my first and only nighttime scuba diving experience, I told anyone who would listen that "I will never again dive during the day." That is how I currently feel about my tilt-enabled Frankencamera setup (NEX-5, EzFoto tilt Pentax K adapter, various Pentax primes): I will never again take a photo with my lens perpendicular to the film/sensor plane.

And you will endure more pictures taken from my windows. Williamsburg looks ripe for a visit from Godzilla.




Regarding the NEX-5, a few words short of a review: yes, the interface is weird and annoying. It needs a physical dial or two. It is freaky looking. But these annoyances cannot eclipse the joy of having a proper APS-C-sized sensor with serious high ISO skillz in a tiny little body, especially now that I can use any of my SLR lenses on it, with the option of tilting each and every one of them. I realize that I am geeking out a little right now, but the current situation is a couple of minor complaints away from camera bliss.

2 comments:

okiave said...

Love breaking the plane of focus. So jealous that it's that easy now, especially because my EOS system makes it an arm and leg to do. That's cool though i got some 4X5 polaroids left. Have you seen Keith Carter's work? He was my first introduction to the technique of tilt shift.

http://www.neworleansworkshops.com/artists/kcarter/

Happy Machine said...

i've never seen keith carter's stuff before but i like it. it's a reminder that tilting is more than fake miniatures. i need to explore further in that general direction.

the thing about the nex system that makes all this adapter magic possible: the body has been made so small relative to its huge sensor that it requires its lenses to leave some room behind the back element ... room perfectly filled by an adapter.