3.24.2008

Flashback: MBK Center

I spent my last day in Bangkok confined to a gigantic shopping mall called MBK Center.

I had earlier left my backpack at the train station and then visited Chinatown, only to find that it was simply too hot and that it was, well, a Chinatown. MBK Center promised air conditioning and an authentic Bangkok experience, because modern Bangkokers who can afford it spend their time in big malls.

Unless the people here figure out how to air-condition the whole of Bangkok, I'm afraid this mall thing will continue to thrive. I killed four hours shopping for a pair of cheap sunglasses. I managed one for 99 baht, but by then the six-floor mall had completely defeated this hardened semi-native of New Jersey. I then left the mall and stepped into the dense steam outside. I lost liters of sweat in minutes. It was raining, but I swear the raindrops were just forming in place and sticking to my body. I got the hell back to the train station and waited for my ride out of the city.

No comments: